ST. LOUIS, Mo.—The Fontbonne University women's soccer team gets its 2018 campaign underway in Oregon this weekend. The Griffins square off against Willamette at 8 p.m., on Friday followed by a 2:00 p.m., outing against Lewis & Clark on Sunday.
A Look At The Griffins
- Coach Hoener enters his eighth year at the helm of the women's program where he's accumulated a 74-57-9 overall record.
- The Griffins are coming off an 11-9 2017 campaign, its second straight appearance in the SLIAC Championship, and 10th appearance in the SLIAC Tournament.
- In 2017, the Griffins netted 72 goals which was second-best in program history.
- Fontbonne are picked to finish third in the SLIAC Preseason Poll. They'll be looking to replace the likes of Meredith Wendt, Maddie Redohl and Ellen Weaver in 2018.
- Makayla Hussong, Mary Beers and Taylor Skaggs all return in net. The trio combined for 89 saves and a .742 save percentage.
- Seniors Daniele Caruso and Maddie Tague also return to lead the defensive back line.
- The 2018 roster includes 14 returners and four newcomers that'll look to guide the Griffins toward another successful 2018 season.
A Look At The Willamette Bearcats
- The Bearcats are coming off an impressive 2017 season where they went 13-4-3 overall, which is its highest win total since the 2011 season (11 wins).
- 10 of its wins came against its Northwest Conference foes where they went on to end up in fourth place.
- The Bearcats lost its leading goal scorer from last year in Emmy Manset, who concluded with 13 goals and two assists for 28 points.
- Shanna Keil returns after netting six goals and adding a team-high five assists.
- In net, junior Kristen Barclay is back after picking up 11 wins, totaling four shutouts in 1586:39 minutes played and allowing just 14 goals.
A Look At The Lewis & Clark Pioneers
- The Pioneers finished the 2017 season with a 3-14-3 overall record.
- Forward Kennie Beighle led with four goals and nine points and she'll return for her sophomore season.
- Caroline Hennes and Courtney Schmidt are also back after posting three goals each.
- The Pioneers will look to Megan Sawyer in net after she appeared in eight games, making 42 saves in 650:00 minutes.
- The team has 10 newcomers that'll be looking to make an impact throughout the season.
Fans make sure to stay updated on fontbonnegriffins.com throughout the year for full updates and recaps on the women's soccer team.
Make sure to follow us on all our social media accounts: Twitter (@FBUGriffins), Instagram (@fbugriffins) and Facebook (/FontbonneUGriffins).