Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Men's Lacrosse Posts Season-High 25 Goals In A Dominant Win Over Earlham

Photo Credit: Bethany Ottens
Photo Credit: Bethany Ottens

RICHMOND, Ind.—The Fontbonne University men's lacrosse team picked up its first win of 2018 in dominant fashion as they defeated Earlham, 25-8.

The Griffins (1-2), 25 goals in a game are its highest since 2015 when the team posted 27 against Dallas in its season finale.

On the afternoon against the Quakers (0-1), the Griffins totaled 46 shots, picked up 42 ground balls and went 16-of-18 on its clear attempts.

Individually, Alex Scott had himself a game with a career-high six goals and three assists. Matt Rech set a new career-high in goals, surpassing last year's mark of three to finish with five today.

Michael Picciolo and Brian Nguyen tied with three goals each, while Cameron Director and Reagan Chin added two. In goal, Nick Fresta got his first win on the season after making five saves.

Earlham, meanwhile, were unable to overcome its 31 turnovers. The Quakers offensively were led by Nori Kasai's five goal performance. In net, John Okker-Edging was busy but came away with eight saves.

It didn't take long for the Griffins to strike. The team needed just 13.0 seconds for Director to get on the board. The Quakers, though responded with three unanswered goals over the next minute and 46 seconds.

Down 4-2, at the 10:18 mark, Fontbonne took complete control the rest of the way, scoring six unanswered goals of its own as Dalton Teague, Rech (three), Picciolo and Scott all found twine to give them an 8-4 lead after one quarter of play.

The Quakers tried to get back in it early in the second as Kasai scored 12.0 seconds in. However, Scott answered right back with a goal of his own 23.0 seconds later, making it 9-5.

It was all Fontbonne the rest of the way as they outscored Earlham 8-1 and headed into the break on top, 17-6.

It was a strong first 30:00 minutes of play for Fontbonne. The team outshot Earlham 27-10, won 12 face-offs, forced 16 Quaker turnovers and owned the ground ball advantage, 24-20.

In the third, Earlham got on the board at 9:34 on Kasai's goal. That'd be the only one they'd get, though as Rech scored an unassisted goal less than two minutes later. Then, Scott scored the final three goals to give the Griffins a comfortable 21-7 lead going into the final 15:00 minutes of play.

In the final quarter, the Griffins posted up four more goals and they cruised to the 17-goal victory.

The team returns home on Wednesday afternoon for a 12 p.m., outing against Northland.

Fans make sure to stay updated on throughout the year for full updates and recaps on the men's lacrosse team.